Home Remedies for Head Lice / Louse - Best Natural, Herbal Homemade Remedies for Treating Head Lice
Head Lice/ Louse Home Remedies
Some important FAQ's related to Head Louse:
Q #1: What are the Symptoms of head louse ?
Ans: as the hair louse bites into the scalp it releases an anesthetic substance in its saliva which after repeated biting can start to make the host feel quite unwell. It also leads to intense itching causing the host to scratch incessantly which in turn can result in inflammation and secondary bacterial infection.
Q #2: How head louse are spread?
Ans: It is wrong to assume that head louse are spread on dirty hair were therefore associated with poor hygiene. They actually prefer clean hair and although anyone can catch them. They are most commonly found in children up to 12 years of age as lice are spread by direct head to head contact. The hair louse can also live for up to 24hrs away from the human head so can also be picked up from infested bedding or towels and particularly from coats, scarves or hats where in schools, children are often required to share coat pegs.
Q #3: How can one get rid of Head Louse?
Ans:There are many medical as well as home treatments available which can help you to get rid of head louse permanently.
Q #4: Why use a head louse home remedy?
Ans: The fact is that, hair louse has become resistant to chemical pesticides used in conventional head louse treatments. Research has also found these poisons to be potentially carcinogenic, leading many people to reject chemical products in favor of a safer, natural head louse home remedy.
Learn more about hair care here.
Some effective Home Remedies for Head Lice / Louse
1. Olive oil left on the hair and scalp for 8-9 hours can smother lice.
2. Mix 1 teaspoon lime juice and1 teaspoon garlic, make into a paste and apply to hair.
3. To help soften the glue that the nits/eggs use to attach themselves to the hair, follow the shampoo with a rinse of 1/2 warm water and 1/2 vinegar. Cover the scalp with a shower cap for 15-20 min. Comb the hair thoroughly with a special fine-toothed nit comb (available at pharmacies), and rinse thoroughly. The entire treatment can be repeated in a week if necessary.
Some Quick Tips and Home Remedy to prevent hair lice / louse infestation.
1. If nits are found start using your head louse home remedy straight away. Treat the whole family and other close contacts.
2. Shampoo the hair twice weekly with the addition of head louse repellent essential oils. Add 2 drops of Tea Tree, Geranium, Rosemary or Eucalyptus essential oils to a capful of PH balanced shampoo, and 2 drops to the final rinsing water.
3. If nits are found - thoroughly wash bedding, pillows, towels, coats, scarves, hats, brushes, combs etc. to kill any lice or nits which may be lurking there.
4. Prevention is the key - carry out regular inspections
Hair should preferably be kept short, but tied back if long to reduce the risk of hair to hair contact.
5. Vigorously brushing the hair twice a day using a natural bristle hair brush will knock the legs off the lice so that they can not cling on to the hair.
6. Short hair and regular vigorous brushing are a good idea to prevent re-infestation.
Curing Head Lice in your home - Free home remedies for head louse