Abciximab Drug (Medication) Information
GENERIC NAME: Abciximab
What is Abciximab and for what Abciximab is used?
Abciximab medication belong to Antiplatelet class. Abciximab is adjunct to percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) to prevent ischemic complications in patients at high risk of abrupt closure of the treated vessel. Intended for use with aspirin and heparin.
How to Take Abciximab
Take Abciximab exactly as prescribed by health care provider. Abciximab is avaliable in form of ReoPro Injection 2 mg/mL.
Dosage Instructions for Abciximab Drug
Adults: IV 0.25 mg/kg bolus 10 to 60 min before PCI followed by continuous infusion of 0.125 mcg/kg/min (to a max of 10 mcg/min) for 12 hr.
Contraindications of Abciximab
Active internal bleeding; recent (6 wk) GI/GU bleeding, major surgery, or trauma; history of CVA in the past 2 yr of CVA with significant residual neurological deficit; use of oral anticoagulants within 7 days unless prothrombin time is less than 1.2 times control; thrombocytopenia; severe uncontrolled hypertension; vasculitis; intracranial neoplasm, aneurysm, or arteriovenous malformation; or the recent or current use of IV dextran.
What are the Side Effects of Abciximab -
Like other medicines,
Abciximab can cause side effects.
Some of the more common side effects of Abciximab includ
- atrial fibrillation;
- pulmonary edema;
- AV block;
- supraventricular tachycardia.
- Abnormal vision
- Nausea, vomiting.
Abciximab intraction with other drugs:
Tell your prescriber or health care professional: about all other medicines you are taking including non-prescription medicines; if you are a frequent user of drinks with caffeine or alcohol; if you smoke; or if you use illegal drugs. These can affect the way your medicine works. Check with your health care professional before stopping or starting any of your medicines.
Warnings and precautions before taking Abciximab :
- If symptoms of sensitivity occur any time during therapy, discontinue Abciximab drug and initiate symptomatic and supportive therapy. Have epinephrine, dopamine, theophylline, antihistamines, and corticosteroids available.
- Readministration: Abciximab may cause antibody development. Readministration may be associated with allergic reactions.
- Bleeding: Because risk of bleeding is increased, use cautiously, if at all, with thrombolytics, oral anticoagulants, NSAIDs, dipyridamole, and ticlopidine. Institute bleeding precautions.
- The safety and efficay of this medicine have not been studied in children and adolescents.
- If serious bleeding occurs that is not controlled with pressure, stop infusion of abciximab and heparin.
- Avoid other invasive procedures during therapy.
What if Overdose of Abciximab ?
If you think you or anyone else taken overdose of Abciximab , immediately telephone your doctor or contact your local or regional Poisons Information Centre Seek medical attention immediately.
You may need urgent medical attention.
What if Missed Dose of Abciximab ?
If you miss a dose of Abciximab medicine and you remember within an hour or so, take the dose immediately. If you do not remember until later, skip the dose you missed and go back to your regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Storage Conditions for Abciximab :
Store Abciximab vials at 2° to 8°C (36° to 46°F). Do not freeze. Do not shake. Discard any unused portion. Administer drug through a separate IV line with filter.
TO ACCESS OUR MEDICAL DIRECTORY, CLICK ON THE FIRST LETTER OF THE DRUG NAME:
A || B || C || D || E || F || G || H || I || J || K || L || M || N || O || P || Q || R || S || T || U || V || W || X || Y || Z
Please Note: The medical information here is presented for education, background reading and general interest. The DiseasesAtoZ is not a diagnostic or clinical decision-making tool.
Please consult your own licensed physician regarding diagnosis and treatment of any medical condition!
Content is not asserted complete or error free.