Benztropine Mesylate Drug Information
Apo-Benztropine , Benztropine Omega
What is Benztropine Mesylate and for what Benztropine Mesylate is used?
Benztropine Mesylate medication belong to Antiparkinson/Anticholinergic
class. Benztropine Mesylate
thought to act by competitively antagonizing acetylcholine receptors in corpus striatum to restore neuromuscular balance.
How to Take Benztropine Mesylate
Take Benztropine Mesylate exactly as prescribed by health care provider. Benztropine Mesylate is generally available in market in the form of
Tablets 0.5 mg , Tablets 1 mg , Tablets 2 mg , Injection 1 mg/mL.
May be given IM or IV in acute dystonic reaction. However, because onset and efficacy are equivalent for IM and IV route, IV administration is usually unnecessary.
If patient has difficulty swallowing, tablet may be crushed.
Dosage Instructions for Benztropine Mesylate Drug
Treatment of all forms of parkinsonism; control of extrapyramidal disorders (except tardive dyskinesia) caused by neuroleptic drugs.
Contraindications of Benztropine Mesylate
Angle-closure glaucoma; myasthenia gravis; pyloric or duodenal obstruction; stenosing peptic ulcer; prostatic hypertrophy or bladder neck obstructions; megacolon; tardive dyskinesia; children under 3 yr.
Interaction of Benztropine Mesylate
Amantadine: May increase anticholinergic effects.
Digoxin: May increase digoxin serum levels, especially with slow-dissolution oral digoxin tablets.
Haloperidol: May worsen schizophrenic symptoms; may decrease haloperidol serum levels; tardive dyskinesia may develop.
Phenothiazines: May decrease action of phenothiazines. May increase incidence of anticholinergic effects.
What are the Side Effects of Benztropine Mesylate -
Like other medicines, Benztropine Mesylate can cause side effects. Some of the more common side effects of Benztropine Mesylate include
- Tachycardia; bradycardia.
- Toxic psychosis including confusion, disorientation, memory impairment, visual hallucinations; exacerbation of pre-existing psychosis; nervousness; depression; finger numbness.
- Skin rash.
- Blurred vision; dilated pupils; narrow-angle glaucoma.
- Paralytic ileus; constipation; nausea; vomiting; dry mouth.
- Urinary retention; dysuria.
- Heat stroke; hyperthermia; fever; weakness; inability to move particular muscle groups.
Warnings and precautions before taking Benztropine Mesylate :
- Explain that full effectiveness of drug may not occur for 2 to 3 days after initiation of drug therapy. Explain that doses will be tapered gradually before stopping.
- Advise patient before using Benztropine Mesylate that increasing fluid intake will help decrease dry mouth and constipation.
- Instruct patient before using Benztropine Mesylate to take sips of water frequently, suck on ice chips or sugarless hard candy, or chew sugarless gum if dry mouth occurs.
- Warn patient before using Benztropine Mesylate to pay particular attention to dental hygiene because of problems associated with decreased salivation.
- Tell patient that stool softeners may be used if constipation occurs.
- Warn patient to drink plenty of fluids and take precautions against hyperthermia in hot weather.
- Tell patient before using Benztropine Mesylate that vision may be blurry during the first 2 to 3 wk of treatment.
- Advise patient that wearing sunglasses outdoors will help to minimize photophobia.
- Instruct patient before using Benztropine Mesylate that drug may cause drowsiness and to use caution while driving or performing other tasks requiring mental alertness.
- Advise patient before using Benztropine Mesylate to avoid intake of alcoholic beverages or other CNS depressants.
- Instruct patient before using Benztropine Mesylate to obtain periodic eye examinations during long-term treatment to monitor for glaucoma.
What if Overdose of Benztropine Mesylate ?
If you think you or anyone else taken overdose of Benztropine Mesylate , immediately telephone your doctor or contact your local or regional Poisons Information Centre Seek medical attention immediately. You may need urgent medical attention.
Circulatory collapse, cardiac arrest, respiratory depression, CNS depression or stimulation, shock, coma, stupor, seizures, convulsions, ataxia, anxiety, incoherence, hyperactivity, foul-smelling breath, decreased bowel sounds, dilated and sluggish pupils are may be the overdose symptoms of Benztropine Mesylate .
What if Missed Dose of Benztropine Mesylate ?
If you miss a dose of Benztropine Mesylate medicine and you remember within an hour or so, take the dose immediately. If you do not remember until later, skip the dose you missed and go back to your regular schedule. Do not double doses.
Storage Conditions for Benztropine Mesylate :
Store Benztropine Mesylate at controlled room temperature (59° to 86°F).
Store Benztropine Mesylate in a dry place in tightly closed, light-resistant container.
TO ACCESS OUR MEDICAL DIRECTORY, CLICK ON THE FIRST LETTER OF THE DRUG NAME:
A || B || C || D || E || F || G || H || I || J || K || L || M || N || O || P || Q || R || S || T || U || V || W || X || Y || Z
Please Note: The medical information here is presented for education, background reading and general interest. The DiseasesAtoZ is not a diagnostic or clinical decision-making tool.
Please consult your own licensed physician regarding diagnosis and treatment of any medical condition!
Content is not asserted complete or error free.